What are course reserves?
- A short-term loan service for students facilitated by the library.
- Instructors can add physical items to course reserves. These are required or supplemental course materials.
- The loan period can be 1, 3, or 7 days, and is determined by the instructor.
How do I add materials to course reserve?
- Identify materials to be placed on course reserve for each course.
- Personally owned books, DVDs, or CDs
- Physical books or DVDs from the library’s collection
- Material not available through McIntyre? Submit a Recommendation for Purchase form
- Submit the Course Reserve Request Form for each course.
- Drop off personally owned materials at the Library Main Desk or send via campus mail.
- Inform your students how to access items in your syllabus or Canvas course.
- We suggest “This item is available for a short-term loan [insert loan period] at McIntyre Library. Bring your Blugold ID to the library and ask at the Main Desk to check out this course reserve item.”
How do my students search for materials on course reserve?
- Search by book title, course number, course name, or instructor name in Library Search.
- Look for the phrase “Available at UW-Eau Claire McIntyre Library...” in the search results.
Course Reserves eliminate barriers to access and improve affordability for students
How long until materials are ready for students?
- Typically, 1-2 business days. Plan for a two-week minimum for recommendations for purchase.
When are items removed from course reserve?
- You will be contacted by library staff at the end of the semester to remove or extend materials.
How many copies of a book do you suggest I place on reserve?
- One copy per class is generally sufficient. Contact the course reserve supervisor if you have questions about the appropriate number of copies to place on reserve.
Does the Library offer scanning or electronic reserves?
- No, but we encourage you to share PDFs, links to articles and ebooks, and streaming media in your Canvas course. Read about using permalinks or email your library liaison if you have questions.
What cannot be placed on course reserve?
- Journals or magazines
- Interlibrary loan items
- Other non-circulating items from the library collection